Friday, August 12, 2011

Am I Getting Old?

Twice last week right before I went to bed, the movie Titanic was on. Between both times, I saw about the first hour of the movie. I would have stayed up to watch it, but both times it did not get over until 1:30, but both times left me wanting to watch more of it. I was not sure where to find the movie and I really did not want to pay to rent it, so I figured it was a lost cause and I would forget about it sooner or later.
Well, on Monday morning, I was getting ready to take the kids to my parents house when I discovered something that made my day. Whenever I go to my parent's house, I take a couple of boxes from my garage that belong to my brother Jeremy. As I was taking one of the boxes, I saw the movie Titanic sitting there. I grabbed knowing that Jeremy would not care if I borrowed it. Really I wanted to watch it right then and there, but I did not have the time.
Finally last night, I decided I could not hold off any longer and I put it in. I had not seen the show since high school and was expecting to find that it was still just as good and the few funny parts were still funny. Well, I was very wrong. I am not sure if I changed or if the movie changed, but I am guessing it is me.
As I watched the parts with childern hit be hard, because the kids in the movie are about the same age as my little kids. It was very easy to imagine my little ones standing in the hall crying.
Some of the funny parts were still funny. Like when they break through the wall and the guy says that they are going to have to  pay for the damage. Then there is the part where Jack says he is going to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star.
Then there were the parts that I thought were funny back in high school, but now seem sad and horrible. Back then, I thought it was funny that people were falling from the top of the ship, hitting the rails and then falling into the ocean. Last night, I thought, this is horrible that people actually died like this.
So, I got to watch the whole movie again and I was happy about that, I still stayed up later than I should have, but I watched it. I also learned that with time and age come some maturing which is good, but does that mean I am getting old?

No comments: